The parish church, designed by G F Bodley, began to be built in 1894 and was consecrated in 1895 (even though it was not finished - see, from the outside, the 'temporary' south brick wall).
George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) mainly designed churches in the Gothic style. He was the first pupil of George Gilbert Scott, and later a partner of Thomas Garner, for many years. He was a friend of the Pre-Raphaelites and William Morris, and his own most important pupil was the Arts and Crafts designer C R Ashbee. By the early 1860s Bodley had adopted the English Decorated style almost exclusively in his designs.
Bodley was renowned for his sense of tradition and for the "refined beauty and restrained power" he sought and often attained. Bodley's parish church designs became influential throughout the Anglican Communion.
In the church is a late Anglo-saxon (early Norman) Font sculpted about 1080 AD. This came from the original church at High Hoyland, and then was used as a cattle trough until rescued for our parish.
Above the High Altar is a beautiful mid-20th century reredos: depicting Christ enthroned in majesty, with St Aidan and his friend St Oswald of Northumbria.
The east window in the High Altar Sanctuary (meaning special place, safety, set apart) shows Christ crucified, with His mother and St John. The small rose window on the south wall of the sanctuary depicts items associated with the passion and crucifixion of Jesus.